My Night At the Office

Tonight begins the regular 30 min episodes of The Office. I've gotten quite spoiled having an hour each week of the best comedy on TV. I've really enjoyed how the show has evolved. if you go back and watch season one, the shows style is now night and day from it's original format. Both are very good, but different. The show now digs deeper into story lines and isn't afraid to use outlandish if not improbable situations to push it's trademarked awkwardness. It reminds me a lot of Seinfeld in the way that as the show matures, the story lines have grown from a short 30 min situation comedy to one that has streams of story lines flowing through several episodes. The Office has gotten better with age.

Tonight's preview is this:
THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF ADVERTISING - When the Scranton branch is asked to participate in a Dunder Mifflin ad, Michael seizes his chance to exhibit his creativity. Meanwhile, Dwight explores the online world of Second Life.

In case you've missed the past couple of weeks, here are some highlights:

Michael Scott: Okay. Today is the big day that I am heading to New York to attend a party, with sushi and important people. On an unrelated note, if anyone has an anecdote, that is not boring and easy to memorize please drop by my office before I leave. Thank you.
Jim Halpert: Whoops. Is that what Ryan really wanted you to tell us?
Michael Scott: And... today the Dunder Mifflin Infinity website launches.

Kelly: That's from Ryan? Does it mention if he's seeing anybody?
Michael Scott: No. It doesn't. I'll find out tonight.
Stanley: Yes please let us know.

Andy: And then I will say something positive like, 'kudos!' Or 'job well done!'
Jim Halpert: Or zippity do da.
Andy: I can't tell if he's mocking me.
Dwight Schrute: Just ignore him.
Andy: I can't do that. It's really hard for me to let things go.
Jim Halpert: I was, mocking you.
Andy: Thank you.

Dwight Schrute: It appears that the website has become alive. This happens to computers and robots sometimes. Am I scared of a stupid computer? Please. The computer should be scared of me. I have been salesman of the month for 13 of the last 12 months. You heard me right. I did so well last February that Corporate gave me two plaques in lieu of a pay raise.

Michael Scott: You know what this is like? I'll tell you what this is like. This is like when freshmen throw a party and wouldn't let any of the seniors go.

Angela: I can't do this. I can't do it.
Michael Scott: Yes you can. I know you can. I wouldn't say it if I didn't 100% believe it. Who else could do this?
Angela: Okay. Okay.
Michael Scott: No seriously, is there anyone else who could do it better? Because we don't have a lot of time.

Andy: They say you should never mix business with pleasure. Really. Then explain to me how a put-put golf company operates.

Dwight Schrute: I'm just scaring him. The trick is to make him think you're going to do something to him.
Delivery kid: I can hear you man.
Dwight Schrute: Shut up! Or I'm gonna punch you in the throat!

Andy: You lookin' for dinner and a movie? Cause you're not gonna find it in that box.

Michael Scott: Yes, money has been a little bit tight lately. But, at the end of my life, when I'm sitting on my yacht, am I going to be thinking about much money I have? No. I'm going to be thinking about, how many friends I have. And my children. And my comedy albums. I mean, I have a yacht so I obviously did pretty well money wise.

Jim Halpert: You okay?
Dwight Schrute: I am better than you have ever been and ever will be.

Michael Scott: And the best way to start is to hit... Start. And up comes the toolbar. That's what she said.

Andy: Sooo...
Pam Beesly: What's up?
Andy: Me, all night. Dreaming about Angela's smokin' hot body.
Pam Beesly: You're being gross.
Andy: Not from a male perspective.

Kelly: Darryl Philbin is the most complicated man that I have ever met. I mean who says exactly what they're thinking? [shakes shoulders] What kind of game is that?

Creed: Creed Bratton has never declared bankruptcy. When Creed Bratton gets in trouble, he transfers his debt to [holds up passport] Williams Charles Schneider.

Michael Scott: [screaming into the office] I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!

Oscar: Hey, I just wanted you to know, that you can't just say the word bankruptcy and expect anything to happen.
Michael Scott: I didn't say it, I declared it.
Oscar: Still.. that's.. it's not anything.

Stanley: When I'm at home at night in my own house in my sweats drinking some red wine and watching my mystery stories, the last thing in the whole godforsaken world I wanna hear is the voice of Michael Scott.

Jim Halpet: You know I just realized, this is Pam's and my first night away together. I used to play it over in my head, and it was just a little bit different. Maybe a, uh, nice hotel, or a romantic dinner? Wine. But wine that wasn't made out of beets. Didn't think Dwight would be involved at all. And, uh, I always imagined less manure. I mean some manure. Just, less.

Ryan: What I really want, honestly, Michael is for you to know it so that you can communicate it to the people here, to your clients, whomever.
Michael Scott: Oh okay.
Ryan: What?
Michael Scott: It's whoever, not whomever.
Ryan: It's whomever.
Michael Scott: No, whomever is never acutally right.
Jim Halpert: Nope, sometimes it's right.
Creed: Michael is right. It's a made up word used to trick students-
Andy: No. Actually, whomever is the formal version of the word--
Oscar: Obviously it's a real word- but I don't know how to use it correctly.
Michael Scott: [to camera] Not a native speaker.
Kevin: I know what's right. But I'm not gonna say. Because you're all jerks who didn't come see my band last night.
Ryan: Do you really know which one is correct?
Kevin: I don't know.
Pam Beesly: It's whom when it's the object of the sentence and who when as the subject.
Phyllis: That sounds right.
Michael Scott: Well it sounds right but is it?
Stanley: How did Ryan use it, as an object?
Ryan: As an object.
Kelly: Ryan used me as an object.
Oscar: Is he right about that--
Pam Beesly: How did he use it again?
Toby: It was, Ryan wanted Michael, the subject, to explain the computer system, the object--
Michael Scott: Thank you!
Toby: ...to whomever, meaning us, the indirect object. Which is the, the correct usage of the word.
Michael Scott: No one, uh asked you anything ever so whomever's name is Toby, why don't you take a letter opener and stick it in your skull?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)