My Karate Kid


Waiting for anything stinks. Waiting in line. Waiting in traffic. Waiting to be seated at a restaurant. Waiting for hell to freeze over so you can cash in all those promises from various people you've met in life. Let's face it, we hate to wait for anything or anyone at anytime at any place. What makes it harder is when it's God telling you to wait.

I've been drawn to two passages of scripture lately that I needed to hear but don't want to apply. The first comes from Psalms 27:14:

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."

I guess God felt like there was no way I'd listen so he repeated Himself. There are times, like now, that I want to jump ahead of God or just jump period. I've done this many times in the past and each time my next prayer after jumping is "HELP!!". So I started to ask myself why am I so anxious for change. What is it that I'm wanting God to hurry up and do? What do I feel I'm having to wait on? My only conclusion that brings some kind of peace to my spirit is there are bigger things up ahead.

But what about now? What about the "stuff" I deal with daily as I wait on God to make His move? That led me to my second passage that is great to hear but tough to swallow. It comes from James 1: 2-4:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Now you see why I feel like Daniel LaRusso. I guess all I can do is keep painting the fence, waxing the car, and waiting.

Comments

Veeno said…
I would like to help you with those difficulties...

My car can use waxing and my fence is in dire need of paint!

Isn't it great how God brought our needs together! See you Saturday!
Hey!
Just found your blog! I've bookmarked it and look forward to reading...

Eric

http://ericspangler.typepad.com
http://ericspangler.typepad.com/lakeside
http://ericspangler.typepad.com/eworldphotos

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)