What Doesn't Kill Her Makes Her Stronger

When Maria was one she fell down our steps (13) at our house. When she was two she passed out at a Doodlebops concert because of a fever and had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance. Now that she is three I've been waiting for her next traumatic physical accomplishment. he wait is over.

Yesterday Jacob and Maria were busy chasing each other around the house. I warned a few time that they may want to slow down before someone gets hurt. (I sound like my mother) Finally the sounds of laughter were filled with cry's of pain. I was in the next room and just casually asked the kids what happened. Maria was crying but not in a kind of "emergency" kind of way. As she walked into the room with her hand over her mouth the first thing i noticed was the large amount of blood running down her arm. I rushed over and carried her into the bathroom. Once she saw the blood her tears and cry turned to curiosity as she casually asked me where was the blood coming from. After cleaning her up I did a quick examine and didn't really see anything out of the ordinary that would have caused that much blood. As I looked in her mouth I noticed some blood around her gums so I went to wipe it off with my finger. that is when I realized her front two top teeth were now loose.

The story I have been able to piece together from her and Jacob was as they were running she run up and bent over our coffee table. Jacob then ran into the back of her causing her to fall face first onto the top of the table. Basically she did a face plant on our coffee table.

I called the dentist who wanted to see us first thing this morning. Her prognosis is 50/50. There is just as likely of a chance that her gums will heal up and everything will be back to normal in a few weeks as there is a chance she might lose both teeth. The dentist said everyone was different in the way they healed and we'd just have to wait and see.

So for now Maria is on a soft diet for a few days and no more thumb sucking for a few weeks. Other then that you would never know what happened. She was as wide open 5 minutes after it happened as she was 5 min before. I thinking she'll either grow up to be a stunt woman or a MMA cage fighter. She's a lot tougher then anyone else in this house.

Comments

Brent said…
I'm glad we had a girl first, but I'm sure that won't prevent us from the not-so-occassional trips to the doctor when Aven decides to bust up the younger kids.
Unknown said…
Anna Knocked her top four teeth loose last year in a tetter totter accident at school. We were lucky, and the gums tightend up after a few weeks.

Brent, having two girls, you would not expect us to be on a first name basis with the emergency room staff at the hospital! Sadly, I've used the phrase, "everything is the same as it was last week!"

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)