My Renovated Life

As I shared with my congregation this past Sunday, I've been visiting a councilor for about 2 months now. Without getting into the long explanation as to why, what's more important is what I have learned about myself and what the causes were that put me there. I basically was empty. My tank was dry and I was running on fumes. The problem was the only tank I cared about was my spiritual tank. What I've come to learn is God has designed us all with five equally important areas of our lives. And when even one of them get neglected, or four in my case, your life as you know it begins to shut down. What are those five areas?

Spiritual: "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35
We need to spend time daily communicating with God through prayer. I was trying my best to keep this tank filled and neglected the others.

Physical: “For physical training is of some value..." 1 Timothy 4:8
God did not design us to sit on our butts all day and do nothing. If he has given you the means to be active, then there is no excuse for you not doing something. We need a physical outlet or this tank will never begin to be filled.

Mental: “They delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do” Psalm 1:2-3
I spent a lot of time studying the Bible. But it wasn't for me, it was for everyone else. I would spend hours preparing a message or bible study but never spent anytime in God's word just for me. Because of that, my mental tank was empty.

Emotional: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” Proverbs 27: 17
I naturally hold in all my frustrations, hurts, anger, and disappointments until I can't take it any more then I just snap. What I've come to realize is God has given me some amazing friends in my life that I need to start opening up with. When I share these things, I want to either hear, "You're being a baby, suck it up and move on" or "We're right there with you. You have a right to feel this way". Whatever I'm told, I realize I can't hear what I need to hear if I never open up.

Social: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31
We say we want people and even expect people to treat us a certain way, but then we turn around and treat everyone like crap. The social aspect of our lives is such a double standard that it's funny. We expect to get unconditional love from God and others but very rarely do we show the same to anyone other then those closest to us.

I have learned that I have to daily examine these five areas that make up my life and work to do whatever has to be done so that those tanks never go empty again.

Comments

Patti said…
That was really encouraging! thanks for sharing that ;) Hope you guys are doing well.

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)