My "Munich" Movie Review

I'll start off by saying that this film was nothing like I thought it would be. I knew it revolved around the tragedy of the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany where eleven Israeli athletes were killed by PLO terrorist. I assumed that the movie would focus on the killings at the Olympics and the events leading up to them. Instead what the movie is based on are the events that happen after the killings. We are allowed to see only through flashbacks of the kidnapping and killings.

The basis of the movie is Israel's response to the horrific tragedy. They recruit a team of secret agents and install them as assassins to hunt down and kill the men responsible for masterminding the attack. The movie plays out like another installment of the "Mission Impossible" saga. I had to keep reminding myself that this film was based on actual events. I'd love to know how much of it was true but just the fact that the majority of it had to of been makes it a fascinating film.

The acting was great and the story was riveting. My only complaints were the subtitles were a bit small and went too fast to keep up with at times and the movie is a little long. (2 hours and 45 min.) I was also disappointed that it ended without any summary of what the main character is doing know. Maybe he's in hiding. Who's knows?

I've now watched 4 of the 5 films nominated for best picture for the 2006 Oscars. I still believe "Crash" was the best, followed by "Capote", "Munich", then "Good Night and Good Luck".

Over all I'd give "Munich" 3 1/2 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)