In the Light by Beth Gianopulos

In the Light

"You groped your way through that murk once, but no longer. You’re out in the open now. The bright light of Christ makes your way plain. So no more stumbling around. Get on with it! The good, the right, the true—these are the actions appropriate for daylight hours. Figure out what will please Christ, and then do it." Ephesians 5:8-10 MSG

A few years ago, my husband and I took our son on a mission trip to Mexico City. Our family had been through some very difficult times, and I hoped that a trip focused on loving and serving others would be healing for all of us.

To learn about the culture and spend time with our local friends, we spent some time at the Teotihuacán. We visited this ancient city and marveled at the Pyramid of the Sun.

As we walked around the amazing artifacts, we saw a number of long, dark tunnels. A few people in our group, including my son, decided that we would crawl through the tunnels.

My son and I decided that I would crawl through the tunnel first and wait for him on the other side. As I crouched down to look into the tunnel, I could see a faint light in the distance. Otherwise, there was just blackness.

The tunnel was cool, damp, and dark. As I entered the darkness on my hands and knees, I could not help but think about all the creepy crawly things that could be in that tunnel - spiders, insects and other creatures I did not want to encounter.

As I neared the end of the tunnel, I could see more and more light.

After I emerged from the tunnel, I yelled through the tunnel to my son that it was his turn to crawl through.

As he entered the darkness alone, I could not see him, feel him, or hear him. He was swallowed up in the black emptiness.

As my son neared the end of the tunnel, he could see faint light. As he crawled out of the tunnel, he was not only surrounded by light and warmth, but our entire group stood cheering for him.
He was not only embraced by the warmth of the sun, but he was also embraced by the loving warmth of people that wanted to see him emerge from the darkness into the light.

In Ephesians 5:8-10, Paul talked about how we had to grope our way through the murk once, but that is no longer the case.

We are no longer feeling our way through a dark, black tunnel alone. We now stand in the light, in the brightness of Christ.

When my son entered that tunnel, he was alone in the dark with his own fears. However, despite his fear, he entered the tunnel, guided by the light on the other side.

He persevered, crawling between the cold, dank walls. When he emerged into the light, he was greeted with light and joy.

We have all been alone, feeling our way through the dark.

Do you remember how amazing it was to finally see the light? Do you remember the joy, relief, and love that you felt? We are no longer trapped in the darkness alone. We now stand free, in the light.
Jesus, Thank You for guiding us out of the murky darkness into Your light. Help us live our lives carefree and warmed by Your light. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
For more encouragement, visit Beth at PWLawyerMom.
© 2017 by Beth Mabe Gianopulos. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)