My Final Judgement

"Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions or faith in Christ...It does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary. A serious moral effort is the only thing that will bring you to the point where you throw in the towel. Faith in Christ is the only thing to save you from despair at that point: and out of the faith in Him good actions must inevitably come." - C.S Lewis

I'm sick and tired of Christians throwing out the "Don't judge me" line. It's like they're on an episode of "Maury" with the audience yelling and all they can do is stand and yell back, "You don't know me! You don't know me!". Yes we do and that's the point. The idea that faith alone is all a Christian must have is absurd. Will our deeds save us? No! Are they valuable? Absolutely, yes. If one is given to question this stand, then answer this: Why are we (redeemed people) judged by our deeds before God at the final judgement (see 1Cor. 3:10-15, Matt. 12:36-37, John 5:27-30)? If they are not valuable, then why do they follow us to our heavenly court? Why does God seem to take them so seriously? Does goodness reside only in our hearts or in the deed?

Jesus said, "You don't get wormy apples off a healthy tree, nor good apples off a diseased tree. The health of the apple tells the health of the tree. You must begin with your own life-giving lives. It's who you are, not what you say and do, that counts. Your true being brims over into true words and deeds." Luke 6:43-45 The Message

If you say one thing, "I care about people, I trust God, I like to serve Him, I respect others, I want to see people come to know Christ, I love being a Christian" but your actions say, "I'm selfish, I trust myself, I'll serve God and others if it benefits me, I love people who love me first, I'll play my "faith in God" card when I have to, then you are darn right you'll be judged not only by God but by others. Our actions are all people have to judge us by as it pertains to our Christian faith.

Judging someone based on appearance (i.e. cloths, social background, color of skin etc.) is not acceptable, even Jesus said that's wasn't what He was talking about. He challenged everyone to "judge with righteousness". That means if someone is professing to be follower of Christ but there are little or no evidence of a relationship with Him, then with love that person must be shown what he or she is doing. Sometimes that requires tough words. I don't like to be told I'm doing something wrong. No one does. But if I'm ever going to progress in my faith then I need people to hold me accountable. We all do. Even if it means they judge us. What's on the inside of our lives will come out, and that's what we'll be judged by. Like it or not.

Comments

Veeno said…
Well said- I love the C.S. Lewis start.

Peace!

-J

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)