My Sermon Recap 1.30.11

Jesus and the Disciples on the Emmaus Road
Luke 24:13-35


• What has happened leading up to the story: Jesus death and resurrection.
• Walk through Luke 24:13-24
• 16 - Jesus was the original undercover boss
• 19-24 The men simply explain what they feel happened to Jesus and how they fell about it. They're open and honest.
• Feelings include: hopelessness, lack of patience, discouragement, doubt, overwhelmed, and is God really in control.
• Vs. 25-26: Jesus connects the dots, reminder of promises found in scripture
• Was what happened to Jesus a mystery? Should it have taken anyone by surprise? NO. Not if they had remembered the scriptures.
• I wonder how many times we are at a loss as to what God is up to when the answer(s) could be looking us right in the face if we’d only open our Bibles.
• How many times do we doubt, get discouraged, beat ourselves up, get depressed, frustrated, and lose patients with God when most or all of that could have been avoided if we had only remembered His words/promises.
• Ex. We’re great at remembering lines from songs, movies, books, pomes, etc. We can quote over and over our favorites lines. We can even get to a point where those lines effect how we think and how we act.
• Ex. Trekies, comic books, sports teams
• But when memorizing scripture is brought up our response is, “Oh no I can’t do that.” We treat it like we’re being asked to learn a foreign language.

But what if we could recall scripture when we…

Need hope - Lam. 3:22-25
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

Need patience - James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Need Strength - Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Feel tempted - 1 Cor. 10:12-13
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Feel Guilty - Rom. 8:1
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

Discouraged– Phil. 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Have doubts - Psalm 18:30-31
As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God?

Coping with conflict - Rom. 12:17-18
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Forgiving others - Col. 3:12-13
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Finding rest - Matt. 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Dealing with the past - Col. 2:13-14
When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

Feeling overwhelmed - Psalm 69:16-18
Answer me, LORD, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble. Come near and rescue me; deliver me because of my foes.

Feeling insecure - Matt. 10:29-31
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Assurance that God will meet your needs - Phil. 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

God is in control - Jer. 32:27
“I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)