My WBFJ Share-a-thon (Day 1)

For the past 7 or 8 years, I have volunteered some of my time at a local Christain radio station called WBFJ. It's one of these listener supported, no commercial deals. I usually help with their October Dixie Classic Fair booth / concert (which this year will be Jars of Clay & Cindy Johnson), various concerts that may come around the Traid area, and their big pledge campaign called "Share-A-Thon". Share-a-thon goes on for 3 days each May. During this time, listeners can call in and make pledges to help keep the station running. I really like Bonnie, the lady who is the volunteer cordinator, so I have a hard time saying no to her. So every year I end up working 2 out of the 3 days and as always, I get "asked" to do the early morning shift. How early you may ask? The 6:00am-9:00am shift. That means I have to wake up at 5:15am to get there in time.

The ironic thing to me is I don't even listen to the station anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's a great radio station and the people who work there are really genuine. They just play a style of Christian music that's a little soft for me. It's gearded more toward the soccer mom listeners (no offense to all my soccer mom readers) and not the post-modern style listener. And I'm not even into that hard of rock, I just want to listen to music that's a bit more deeper and challenging then Joy Williams, New Song, Natalie Grant, 4 Him, and Phillips, Craig & Dean. But because I know that a ton of people listen to WBFJ and a lot get spiritually fed through the station, I do what I can to keep it around.

One cool thing is when you volunteer, they always give you free stuff. This morning I walked away with a tee-shirt, CD (Charlie Hall's "Running into Daybreak", which is funny because they don't even play Charlie hall), a mouse pad, a cd opener, and all the drinks and bagels I could eat from Panera Bread.

The goal this year is $575,000. They had already raised $147,000 when I left at 9:00am. I'm scheduled to help out again on Friday. Yep, you guessed it, from 6:00am-9:00am. I saw a new Passion CD I wanted, so if it's still there on Friday, it will be mine.

Comments

The Vogels said…
What is a CD Opener? Was their freally an inventor who thought "these cd's are way too difficult to open, I am going to revolutionize the world be making a cd opener!"?

Amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)