My Movie Review: Sling Blade

I know this movie is like 10 years old but for whatever reason I had never gotten around to watching it until this past weekend. I have a group of friends that do nothing but quote this movie verbatim, so after years of hearing the dialog from this film, I figured I might as well put some pictures into my brain to go along with all the movie lines.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it was a sad movie and it was on some levels. I'm not a big fan of Billy Bob Thorton but did a remarkable job playing Karl Childers, a simple man hospitalized since his childhood murder of his mother and her lover. He is released and returns to his childhood town and although being mentally handicapped, gets a job fixing small motors at a local repair shop. Karl befriends a young boy, Frank, and is soon invited by Frank's mother, Linda, to move into the family's garage. As a strong relationship develops between Karl and Frank, a confrontation builds with Linda's abusive and sometimes violent boyfriend Doyle. Dwight Yoakam plays the perfect role of Doyle, the abusive boyfriend.

A lot of the dialogue was humorous and I found myself chuckling out loud a few times at various conversations.

The overall theme of the movie was basically disturbing. It was one of these where you found yourself pulling for a convicted murderer to kill again. It was very moving and one I'll probably want to purchase, if not for nothing less then to memorize those lines. 3 out of 4 stars

Comments

Veeno said…
Vaughan Cunningham: You always seem to be deep in thought. Tell me, what are you thinking right now?
Karl: I was thinkin', I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me.
Vaughan Cunningham: How about before that?
Karl: Well, let me think... I was thinkin' I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat if ya got any extree.

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

My Resonse To Tony Nolan

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.