My Da Vinci Code Movie Review

Jeremy, Matt, Brandon, Kristie, Beth, and myself went to the opening of "The DaVinci Code" last night. There was one lone protester outside holding up a sign with a cheesy picture of Jesus on it that read, "I love Jesus. Reject the Da Vinci Code."I wanted to tell him that I love Jesus too and was also a pastor, but he was up on the main road and you couldn't even see him from the theater I I decided not to. I figured I was probably the only pastor in the theater. Ok, enough intro, on to the review....

I felt the movie was good but not great. The first 1/3 of the movie went so fast and left out so much from the book that I don't know how someone not familiar with the story could have kept up. For example, in the book, the first 1/4 of the story takes place in the Louvre but in the movie that part might be 15 min long. And considering this is a 2 1/2 hour movie, you can see what I mean by a hurried story line. The movie finally slows down a little about mid way through and moves a good pace and doesn't leave much out. They do change the ending some and for what reason I have no idea. I felt the ending in the book was fine but obviously the powers that be didn't. I was looking forward to seeing Tom Hanks play the role of Robert Langdon but his performance was average at best. He seemed very stiff and not his usual self. I know that sounds all bad so far but there were some good points. The action was non-stop and flashback scenes were very well done. Ian McKellan was wonderful as was Jean Reno. The scenes with Silas alone by himself were brutal and at times tough to watch. (I know, I'm a wuss) Three of the friends I went with had not read the book and loved the movie, so maybe I'm being a little to critical. Overall I'd give this movie 2 1/2 out of 4 stars with the book being "better than the movie".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)