My Hiatus

It's been a while. Sorry about that. I've been gone on a mission trip to beautiful Magnolia DE for the past eight days (which you'll read all about in my next blog) But first I do want to comment on two events that took place before I left that I didn't have time to blog on.

Rob Bell: I'm a huge Rob bell fan. He pastors Mars Hill Church in Grand Rapids, MI. His book "Velvet Elvis" and his "Nooma" videos are great resources for me in my ministry. So when I found out he was doing a summer speaking tour, I immediately emailed his people to see if he was coming to NC. Sure enough, he was. So on Thursday, July 20th, 10 of us from The Refinery piled into the church van and took off to Carboro to hear a little bit from Rob. The venue was a bit strange, it was in a bar. The place held maybe 250 people and usually serves as a bar/music venue. The funny thing was that the actual bar was open that night so you had folks tossing back cold ones while listening to a guy preach about God, spirituality, and genesis. The chairs were very uncomfortable and the fact that we had to sit in them for over 2 hours made it even worse. At 8:00pm, Rob came out and begin his message. He wrapped it up at 9:45pm. It was a very short 1 hr 45min sermon. He was as good as I thought he'd be. The amount of information he gave was a bit overwhelming at times but the basic points were fresh and thought provoking. I'd love to travel up to Grand Rapids some time to visit his church.

"The lady in the water": M Night Shyamalan is probably my favorite film maker right now. His movies are some of the best written stuff coming out of Hollywood. "Lady in the water" was my most anticipated film of the year and to me it didn't disappoint. It was a lot like "Signs" in the respect that what you see is what you get. There is not a major twist, just great story telling with some applicable life lessons sown in throughout the film. Much like "Signs" delt with faith, the overall theme of this movie was man's purpose. Paul Giamatti was outstanding and Bryce Howard delivered another strong performance. This is by far one of my favorite films of '06. 4 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)