My Tired Mindless Thoughts

I've been really slack on blogging lately. Partly because I've been out of town (I'll get to that in a minute) and partly because I'm really tired. I'm worn out mentally, physically, emotionally, and a little spiritually. The following are all the random thoughts my tired brain can muster up....

I took the youth from our church to "Six Flags Over Georgia" last week. We left for our whirlwind trip Thursday afternoon at 5pm and returned Saturday morning at 1am. Without boring you with every detail, here are the highlights and lowlights from the trip. Highlights: 1) Eighteen of us went. 2) We stayed at a cool church with a great youth room that the kids enjoyed. 3) Every youth rode every ride at the park, which is a huge accomplishment for them. A few of them had never been on a roller coaster before and if they had then they hadn't been on any that went upside down. 4) the park was not even close to being crowded. We rode every ride as many time as we wanted. 5) The "old" van made it there and back in one piece. Lowlights: 1) The slowest Wendy's on the planet is located on Dale Earnhart Blvd in Concord. 2) Heat and humidity in Atlanta at the end of June. 3) Taking 90 minutes to go 15 miles coming home. 4) Choosing to drive straight home instead of staying an extra night. All in all a great trip. Our next big trip is white water rafting this fall.

Beth and I watched a couple of movies recently, "Reservior Dogs" and "Firewall". I know pastors aren't suppose to say this but I love Quentin Taratino movies. Ever since I saw "Pulp Fiction" in the theater I have been hooked. His movies may be heavy on the cussing and violence but his story telling is some of the best in Hollywood. "Reservior Dogs" is about a group of six mobsters who attempt to rob a major diamond store when it all goes wrong and the cops show up for what is a brutal shoot out. It appears there is a snitch in the group and plot leaves you guessing right up to the end as to who it could be. If you can over look some foul language and mobster violence, then I recommend "Dogs". (3 stars) "Firewall" is Harrison Ford's latest movie. Is it just me or has he failed to make a good movie since "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"? The story for this film is far to unrealalistic and way to predictable. I'm not even going to waste much more time reviewing it since It has already cost me 90 minutes of my life. (1 star)

Jacob spent the night at his grandparents last night. It has been a father/daughter day with Maria and I today. It's amazing how much easier life is with only one child around.

I picked up a vintage NES game at Goodwill the other day for a buck. It's "RC Pro Am". Man I forgot how great that game was.

I got to hang out with an old friend from high school on Saturday. Greg and I haven't seen each other since we graduated. With the wonders of the internet, we reconnected a month or so ago. He now lives in Orlando with his family but they came back up here for the forth. We all went over to spend some time with them and the catch up. It was funny, Jesus and the church were never a part of our friendship back in school but now I pastor a church and he has helped plant a couple of churches along with being a worship leader. It's amazing what God can do in 14 years that you never thought would happen.

My fantasy baseball team still sucks.

So do the Braves.

I've been listening to some "Johnny Cash" recently. I guess I'm jumping on the band wagon. I'm really hooked on his song "Man in Black". I'll leave you with the following lyrics:

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

...I wonder if Jesus would have dressed in black?

Comments

Erin said…
Came to the ATL and didn't tell me...hehe...Glad you had fun at the 5+1 Flags.

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)