Sermon Series: John (week two) The Woman at the Well
John (week two) Woman at the Well
· John series, Lent readings
· Right or wrong… Label you
· Attila the Hun, Conan the Barbarian, Billy the Kid, Buffy the vampire slayer, Winnie the pooh
· Some based on job—Beth the Lawyer, Jason the Cop, Mike the Pastor
· Some based on interest—Darla the Duke Fan, Tom the Panthers Fan
· Others based on what people see us as , often negative.
WHAT NEGATIVE LABEL FOLLOWS YOUR NAME?
· Doormat, Can’t commit, Hot head, Party-girl, Insecure, Overly sensitive, Irresponsible, Loser
· God’s power is bigger than your past.
· Truth bigger than opinions
· What’s true about you now doesn’t have to be true about you later.
· What once was will no longer be!
A NEW GOD-CENTERED VIEW OF YOU
· Recap John 4—woman at the well
· Jesus didn’t see her for what she was, but for what she is and could be.
GOD WILL GIVE YOU A NEW NAME.
· Forgiven, Transformed, Healed, Overcomer, Loved, Spiritual leader, Physically fit, Great mom.
GOD WILL GIVE YOU A NEW PURPOSE.
· Simon: Uneducated fisherman: unstable, unpredictable
· Fisherman—fisher of men!
· Jesus called him by a new name, Peter, Build my church upon this rock.
· Even after he failed… Pentecost
· Not born a rock—died a rock
· Out of your greatest weakness—greatest strength!
· Addict—help people overcome their addictions!
· Unhealthy—help people eat right!
· Not good with money… Dave Ramsey… debt free!
GOD WILL GIVE YOU NEW FUTURE.
· This woman’s past: Can’t commit to anyone. Divorced. Always have a bad marriage, Inadequate mom, Never measure up.
· Rahab—the prostitute, 8 times mentioned in the Bible—6 x identified by her job!
· Her belief - I’m used goods, No one will want me
· Risked life? Why? Heard about God of Israel: hoping he’d be her God!
· Rahab married a God fearing man named Salmon.
· Rahab had a great, great, great, great, great grandson named Jesus.
· Time to act on your new name, new purpose, & new future
My name is Steve the Hesitant: I’m starting my business.
My name is Michelle the Insecure, I’m interviewing for the job.
My name is Joey the Critical, I’m going to see the good in things.
My name is Sean the Addict, I’m going to be free.
My name is Mike the Fearful, I’m asking her out for a date.
My name is Melinda the overweight girl… I will not be any longer
REFUSE TO LET THE LABELS OF YOUR PAST LIMIT GOD’S PLAN FOR YOUR FUTURE!