My Great Train Adventure (and other things)


Jacob loves trains. And that is putting it lightly. So when we heard that the "Great Train Expo" was coming to Winston-Salem today, Beth and I knew we had to take the kids. It was held in the education building at the Dixie Classic fairgrounds. It featured people who came and set up their personal trains along with dealers and vendors selling train stuff. Jacob and Maria found the train exhibits fascinating but their personal favorites from the day was the train they could ride (see above pic) and a "Thomas the Train" set on a table that any kid that came by could play with. Which on side note made me feel good since that is what "Santa" is bringing Jacob, a train table to put his Thomas tracks on.

Now going back to the train that Jacob rode, he may have loved it but I hated it. I don't know how I always fall into these things but I must have "ask me I'll do it" tattooed on my forehead. As I was putting Jacob on the train, the conductor insisted that I ride too. Not for safety sake mind you, but because there was no other kids to ride and he had an open train. This would have been fine if I wasn't the only adult I saw all day riding it. There was literally no crowd around this ride until I got on the people came from everywhere to see this grown man ride this kiddie train. The stuff I do for my kids.

One sad observation I made today, besides my ride on the kiddie train, was how many adults were not very kid friendly. Some had trains set up and stuff for sale and they encouraged every kid that walked by to play with the trains in some way. I believe those adults never forgot why they fell in love with trains in the first place. they saw their first trains as a child and never looked back. Now all they do is see trains through kid's eyes. Then there were they others that had huge signs all over their trains and merchandise that said "No kids" or "Absolutely no touching". I understand they don't want their stuff messed up by some wild kid, but to me it's like they have forgotten why they started collecting trains in the first place. They've lost their since of wonder and joy. They've turned their hobby they picked up as a 3 year old and turned it into something only cranky 60 year old men can enjoy. Ultimately, everything we have is just stuff. No more, no less. If I have anything and I can't let others enjoy it too without stressing over what may happen, then it's not worth having in the first place. So to the men and women that encouraged my kids and every other kid that came by today by letting them be kids, play, and enjoy the trains, THANK YOU!

Conversation today:
(I'm putting Jacob in the car at the store)
Jacob: There's a Volkswagen.
Me: Where?
Jacob: Over there. It's green.
Me: You're right. There is a Volkswagen over there.
Jacob: Yep. I sure do know my cars and old trucks.
(Truth is my 3 year old knows more about cars then I do)

We've been watching "Band of Brothers" on DVD. It's a 10 part mini series that originally aired on HBO. It follows the true story of "Easy Company" during WWII. the movie is gripping and heartbreaking. We have to follow each episode up with an episode of Scrubs or The Office just so we don't go to bed depressed. It's an excellent view and a must see. 4 stars

Sasha and I went out today. It was the first time we've had together since last Friday. The great thing about our relationship is that no matter how long we have been apart, we pick up right where we left off. We finally made it up the monster hill in front of my house. It about killed me when I first tried it a few weeks ago, now we did it with plenty of energy to spare.

Maria is starting to talk. Not just repeating words we ask her to say, but actually pointing and saying what something is. Tonight she told me thank you after I gave her a cookie for dessert after dinner. Life goes by so fast with your second kid. I have no idea where the first 16 months have gone with her. She'll be married before I know it.

Well, much like the pick me up I need after "Band of Brothers", here's a little pick me up for you guys. Some great quotes from the past couple of weeks of "The Office":

Stanley: I wake up every morning in a bed that's too small. Drive my daughter to a school that’s too expensive. And then I go to work to a job for which I get paid too little. But on pretzel day……Well, I like pretzel day.

Dwight: Michael says KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid! Hurts my feelings every time.

Andy: Hey, what are we doing? What's the game? I want in.
Jim: Oh, there's no game. We're just trying to get these chips for Karen.
Andy: Did you check the vending machine?
Karen: Oh, the vending machines. How did we miss that?
Jim: I have no idea. We went right for the copier
Karen: Hmm
Jim: And then we checked the fax machine.
Karen: Yeah, nothing there.
Andy: Did you check your butt?

Dwight: When my mother was pregnant with me, they did an ultrasound and found she was having twins, and when they did another ultrasound a few weeks later, they discovered that I had resorbed the other fetus. Do I regret this? No. I believe his tissue has made me stronger. I now have the strength of a grown man and a little baby.

Dwight: And how big do you want this robot?
Michael: Life-size.
Dwight: Hmm...no. Better make it two-thirds. Easier to stop if it turns on us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)