Haggai Week One: The Hard Right
THE TIME IS NOW (week one)
THE HARD RIGHT
· Haggai: OT after Zephaniah, before Zechariah
· Stage of life: You expected more, Different.
· College—I’d know what I wanted to do, Graduated—Job. Married—Better marriage.
· Kids fill void—Now just busy and broke.
· Came to church—Tried God—Expected more.
· Backstory of Haggai
· 4th year of King Solomon’s reign—Magnificent temple—idols
· In 587 BC, King Nebuchadnezzar and his army crushed the Southern kingdom of Judah destroying the temple.
· The Jews were taken into captivity for decades.(50years)
· In 538 BC, about 50,000 people were allowed to travel back to Jerusalem, the capital of Judah, to rebuild.
· Started rebuilding—Foundation/Altar—Samaritans opposed them.
· 14 yrs—project on hold—no progress, no prayers, no effort!
· Focused on own houses
· God raised up Haggai to call the people back to the task.
· Read Haggai 1:2
· These people, Not my people! Do you know what your kids did?
· These people say—time not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house!
· Opposition—Difficult—Must not be from God!
· Closer you get to doing what God wants—more opposition you’ll face.
· Don’t worry when I face opposition—Worry when I don’t!
· In life, it’s always better to CHOOSE THE HARD RIGHT OVER THE EASY WRONG.
· Easy to keep your sin a secret—Hard & Right confess ask for help.
· Easy to keep charging & buying what you want—H/R deny self.
· Easy to hold grudge—H/R forgive as X forgave.
· Easy to follow the crowd—H/R to be different and not conform.
· Easy to get discouraged when people are against you—quit. H/R to do it anyway.
· Difference in opposition & things getting hard and God closing a door.
· God will always open another door.
· Read Haggai 1:3-6
· Living in paneled houses—High-end living!
· God’s not against you having nice things
· Don’t put nice things ahead of God.
· Give careful thoughts to your ways
· In what area of your life are you not putting God first?
· Comfort over calling, your house over his.
· Having more instead of doing more.
· Consumed with self rather than others
· Making a name over making a difference
· Making a living is about what you get, making a life is about what you give
· Working your tail off—not satisfied.
· Earning money—never have any left.
· Acquired more—Accomplish more—still feel empty!
· As Dr. Phil would say, “how’s that working for you?”
· Read Haggai 1:7-8
· THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING
· GO TO THE MOUNTAIN.
· BRING DOWN THE TIMBER.
· BUILD MY HOUSE.
· God keeping it simple. We make it waaaay to difficult.
· But what about steps 5,6,7? Who cares?
· You have to do what God showed you first before He revels more to you.
· How do you follow God’s will? Step by step!
· Hard right over easy wrong.
· Finances - Get help, Spend less than earn, Pay down debt.
· Take care body - Eat right, Exercise, Get sleep.
· Marriage - Humble yourself, Apologize, Do what you use to
· The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.
· It’s time to choose the hard right over the easy wrong.
· No more excuses.
· What dream have you been putting off?
· What sin has held you captive?
· What calling have you been ignoring?
· The time is now!