My Political Darkhorse (Part Deux): Mike Huckabee

Several months ago I asked my friend Ginger, who is very involved in politics, to point me toward a candidate she thought might appeal to me. She immediately mentioned Mike Huckabee. I had never heard of the guy and after doing some research it became very apparent 99% of people being polled had never heard of him either. So I casted him off as a nice guy with the some good ideas that would never have a chance of winning.

Now we fast forward to November 16th and two polling stats are worth looking at. Mike Huckabee who was an unknown former governor of Arkansas a few months ago is now second in the Iowa polls at 24% (just 3% behind the leader Romney) and is tied with Romney nationally. The amazing thing about his campaign is that Romney has spent over $10,000,000 on television ads in IA, NH, and SC. Huckabee has spent $0.

Again, I'm not ready to throw my support behind any candidate but here is Huckabee's stance on the major issues. You can find out more at http://www.mikehuckabee.com/

SANCTITY OF LIFE
I support and have always supported passage of a
constitutional amendment to protect the right to
life. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life
have always been clear and consistent, without
equivocation or wavering. I believe that Roe v.
Wade should be over-turned.

MARRIAGE
I support and have always supported passage of a
federal constitutional amendment that denes
marriage as a union between one man and one
woman. As President, I will fight for passage of
this amendment. My personal belief is that
marriage is between one man and one woman,
for life.

HEALTH CARE
Our health care system is making our businesses
non-competitive in the global economy. It is time
to recognize that jobs don't need health care,
people do, and move from employer-based to
consumer-based health care.

TAXES
I support the Fair Tax.

EDUCATION
I have been a strong, consistent supporter of the
rights of parents to home school their children, of
creating more charter schools, and of public
school choice.

EDUCATION
We need a clear distinction between federal and
state roles in education. While there is value in the
"No Child Left Behind" law's e-ort to set high
standards, states must be allowed to develop
their own benchmarks.

IMMIGRATION
We have to know who is coming into our country,
where they are going, and why they are here. We
need a fence along our border with Mexico,
electronic in some places, and more
highly-trained border agents.

WAR ON TERROR
I believe that we are currently engaged in a world
war. Radical Islamic fascists have declared war on
our country and our way of life. They have sworn
to annihilate each of us who believe in a free
society, all in the name of a perversion of religion
and an impersonal god. We go to great extremes
to save lives, they go to great extremes to take
them. This war is not a conventional war, and
these terrorists are not a conventional enemy. I
will ght the war on terror with the intensity and
single-mindedness that it deserves.

2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS
The Second Amendment is primarily about
tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The
Founding Fathers wanted us to be able to defend
ourselves from our own government, if need be,
and from all threats to our lives and property.

Comments

Veeno said…
I don't want to get anything stirred up, but what does "I support the Fair Tax" mean? And waht about: "I
will fight the war on terror with the intensity and
single-mindedness that it deserves"?

I am not an opponent to huckabee, but I have always wondered how to interpret political speak. Any thoughts on that?

Popular posts from this blog

My "Crazy Love" Small Group Discussion Questions

Her Story: Does Satan really exist? Many United Methodists see evil as more subtle.

My Office Quotes: Goodbye, Toby (Plus my thoughts on the Finale and Office Spin-off news)